I shouldn’t be, but I am. I think it’s because of Mean Girls.
because yes, there are mean girls out there. Full grown women who say things to hurt other full grown women.
So one of the things I’ve learned on this journey of mine is that it’s a lot easier to work on a body you love than a body you hate. It is possible to love your body, but want to make it healthier and stronger. Learning to do so can be hard. Society, the media and our peers like to point out any little detail that they deem to be off, and it’s so hard not to focus on all those things you don’t like.
So take a minute once in a while and think about all the great things about your body. Here’s my list.
1. My lips. My bottom lip is a slightly darker shade than my top lip, I don’t know why, but I think it’s interesting. They’re full and plump and perfect for kissing cheeks and necks.
2. My skin. It’s pale and not overly fond of the sun but I like the way it freckles up just the teensiest bit. My skin is peachy and feels nice.
3. My eyes. They’re wideset, hazel with yellow starbursts in the center.
5. My boobs. They may not be what they once were, but these cozy pillows helped 3 babies pack on the pounds, grow big and strong and smart. My body nourished 3 human beings. That’s amazing.
6. My butt. It’s comfortable to sit on. Without it, my back would be sore.
7. My birthmarks. Notably, the cafe au lait spot on my back, the mole on my hip and the beauty mark on my cheek. I think they’re sassy. I also have a stork bite at the nape of my neck that all three of my kids have as well. I love that we share that.
8. My legs. They can carry me further and faster than before. They are strong and have the potential to be stronger and faster.
9. My nails. My nails curve nicely and are a fantastic canvas for pretty colors. Painting them relaxes me and seeing happy colors on my hands always brightens my mood.
10. My hips. My hips love to move to music. I was once told that I move my hips too much when I dance. Is that possible? C’mon!
It was harder than I thought it would be to come up with a list. What’s on your list?